Stressed [er] as in earn
Sound formation instruction:
||This ER sound usually occurs in the middle of the word. The sound-forming instruction is the same as R, but the difference is that the ER sound is a so-called “vowelized” sound, which means its sound resembles a vowel. To pronounce the stressed ER sound, position your tongue in the same way you pronounce the R sound or the unstressed ER sound. This sound is different from the unstressed ER sound because it has more stress. To make the stressed sound, make sure that your tongue is more bunched and tense and forced air is pushed out. Also, the sound should be held for a longer duration than the unstressed ER sound.|
- The search for a new house was worth the time.
- She gave birth to her third child that Thursday.
- He tried not to let the jerk get on his last nerve.
- The widow's strong perfume lingered in the hearse.
- I never thought a single word could hurt someone.
- Herb tried not to burp in front of his date with Shirley.
- Burt had a firm handshake, but he had the worst body odor.
- Vern decided to flirt with the nurse who treated his burn.
- The church minister told his audience to hold on to their virtue.
- Kurt woke up when he heard the bird chirp outside his window.
- When the clerk saw the worm crawl out of the iceberg lettuce, he threw it away.
- There was so much dirt on his shirt because of all the yard work he had to do.
- The singer was so thirsty that she could not pronounce the first German verse of the song.
- I made a wrong turn on the way to the park, so I decided to surf on the beach instead.
- She filled the thermos with soup because she did not have enough money in her purse to buy lunch.
- The clergy wanted to serve the congregation breakfast for all their hard work that weekend.
- I noticed that the bird could not perch on the branch for a long time because it had an unusual curve.
One Thursday, Herb decided to try out his new grill at his beach house. He tried to start a fire, but the wind was too strong and his matches were worthless. Herb was also too lazy to go to the store to buy lighter fluid, so he searched his house for something flammable. After searching his house for a third time, he decided to use his girlfriend's perfume. He always hated the perfume's odor, so he had no problem using the entire bottle.
When Herb's girlfriend, Shirley, came home from work, she immediately noticed an unusual smell in the house. Herb was surprised to see her home early for the first time. Shirley was surprised to see Herb dressed in a nice shirt.
“Where are you going?” she asked.
“No where,” he replied with a smirk. “I cooked dinner tonight.”
Shirley did not mention the unusual smell. She looked at the ingredients Herb used for dinner and her mouth began to water. Herb carried the tray of meat to the table and Shirley noticed a small burn on his arm. She took out bandages from her bag and began to treat the burn because she was a nurse.
When Shirley threw away the bandage wrappers, she saw her empty bottle of perfume in the trash. She called Herb a jerk for throwing away her things, but she calmed down when Herb explained himself and served her dinner. The perfume made the meat turn into a strange color, but Shirley admitted that Herb cooked the best barbeque she ever had.
english pronunciation exercises by EnglishSecret.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Based on a work at www.EnglishSecret.com.
We would like to add more videos and instructions, but financially it has been difficult.